If you just got a crystal, you may be wondering “now what”? Or, you may have had crystals for a while but didn’t know really what to do with them other than look at them.
This post will give a high level overview of how to handle and use your crystals. Any questions? Simply comment or reach out to email@example.com and we’re happy to help.
Step 1: Cleaning Your Crystal
With the exception of crystals shipped from Sparkle Shelf (where all crystals leave cleansed, charged and pre-programmed with unconditional love) the very first thing you will want to do is clean your crystals to remove the energy they absorb from the environments they have been in.
You will want to cleanse your crystal after letting someone else handle it or if its been in a negative environment. Cleanse your crystals if you’ve used them in any sort of healing or ritual involving another person.
There are many options to cleanse your crystal. I cover a few on the Learn page and here are a few that are super easy.
- Sea Salt Water or Sea Salt – Mix a few pinches of sea salt with warm water in a large bowl and place your crystals in it for 24 hours. Do not do this with any crystals that are lower than a 6 on a the Mohs hardness scale since they will start to dissolve. Look up your crystal online or on the Learn page to see your hardness. If it’s too soft for water, like Fluorite or Calcite, then put it on a thick bed of sea salt on a plate and let it sit for 24 hours.
- Dirt – Dirt won’t hurt. Bury your crystal in the ground or let it sit with a large (and healthy) houseplant for 24 hours. The natural energy of the earth and dirt will ‘reset’ the crystal.
- This easy simple trick – I learned this from Les Brown’s documentary and I use it all the time. It’s the fastest way to clean and reset a crystal. Take your crystal and place it on a wood table, a wood or concrete floor, or take it outside and do this on the ground or pavement. The goal is to ground the energy of the crystal with that of the earth and your body acts as the conductor.
Using your right hand, place the crystal on the surface and put two fingers on it (here, you can see my pointer and middle finger on a chunk of amethyst.) Then, prop your thumb on the surface to establish the grounding effect. Simply hold this for about 90 seconds. If you are in tune with your crystal and can “feel” when it’s done, it may be done sooner and you can release it. But if you don’t know what you’re ‘feeling’ for, hold it for 90 seconds and your crystal will be cleansed and reset.
Step 2: Charging Your Crystal
Crystals have inherent energy but like all living things, they need nourishment to really thrive. The one thing crystals love the most? Sunlight. Your crystals can absorb this energy to help you in the programming and use stage.
Charge your crystals regularly. By regularly, I mean about once a month. Some people like to charge them more. If I have my crystals on me and I’m in the sun, I always place them in the sun.
Place your crystals in direct sunlight, ideally between 11am-1pm when the sun is at its strongest. I like to place mine on a white towel to amplify and reflect more of the suns rays into the crystals.
Some crystals are said to lose their color in sunlight over time, but I have read contradictory reports on fading colors. A dose of sunlight won’t fade your crystals’ colors immediately (or perhaps at all) but if you feel like a crystal’s color is fading, switch to charging in the moonlight, ideally during a full moon. Same process – place your crystal outside in the moonlight over night and let it absorb the energy.
Step 3: Programming Your Crystal
Programming gives the crystal’s energy a direction and a focus. This is the real piece that makes the difference between enjoying the visual beauty of a crystal and putting it to work for you. You will never have a better servant than a crystal, so make that energy work for you!
Crystals are alive, like plants and animals. They seem solid and static, but they are dynamic and full of energy that is connected to 100% of the rest of the universe. This energy attunes to you and you can program your crystal with intentions through using your mind.
(You ARE telepathic and the crystal knows this, even if you don’t believe it.)
Program your crystal anytime you want to give it a purpose or mission. Program your crystal if you cleansed it and wiped any of the programming and energy it had absorbed.
Crystals each have their own natural strengths. I like to program my crystals with intentions that will jive with their strengths – for example, Rutilated Quartz is good for moving new energy into your life and busting ruts. If I wanted to drop the habit of eating candy, I would program my Rutilated Quartz with intentions to help me move into healthier habits and keep it close by when I have sugar cravings. But, any crystal can be used for any intention.
Important Note: Crystals do not discriminate or judge any of your intentions or programming, but I heavily caution and advise against using crystals for evil, greed or selfish behavior. They work at their best when they’re used for the benefit of others. Plus, Karma is real.
Here’s how to program. You might feel weird the first time you do this, but go with it. You don’t have to believe it worked for it to work, so don’t stress. Give it a try.
- Start by holding your crystal in your hands and sit in a quiet and comfortable place.
- Quiet your mind and take a few deep breaths in through your nose, and out through your mouth. Keep your eyes open or closed- whatever feels good to you.
- Start by filling the crystal with the feeling of love. Find the feeling of love through thinking of moments that bring you love and then feel the emotion stir within your chest. Visualize the feeling of love coming out from your heart in a glowing light and going straight into the crystal. This is important to do so the crystal knows all your future intentions and requests are always based on the backbone of love.
- Now make your request of the crystal. Let’s say you want to use the crystal to draw more money into your life. Visualize and imagine how you will feel receiving that money. Picture the checks, cash or gold bricks you want to attract and send this energy into the crystal, again visualizing it coming through your heart and into the crystal. Speak words out loud or mentally transfer those words into the crystal like “Bring me all of the abundance that is mine.”
- Now your crystal is programmed. If you want to reinforce the programming, write the intention or command on a piece of paper and place it under the crystal.
- Need help programming your crystal? If you need ideas of what to program your crystal with, ask us and we’re happy to help!
Step 4: Using Your Crystal
Now you get to use your crystal that is attuned to your energy and requests.
Why not use a crystal to help you?
Use your crystals all the time. Here are some ideas:
- Put a crystal in your drinking water that’s programmed with health (one that won’t dissolve in water – so nothing below a 6 on the hardness scale.)
- Place a crystal in the “money corner” of your home (far left corner of your home after you walk in the front door, or any far left corner of any room as you walk into it) that’s programmed for abundance.
- Program a crystal with protection and keep it in your car.
- Place a crystal that will help with dream recall under your pillow.
- Keep a Rainbow Fluorite in an active part of your home to help with cooperation and connection between family members.
- Keep one in your pocket to remind you you are loved and connected with all of the universe
- ….and the possibilities are endless!
The above listed ways and ideas are pretty straight forward. However, you can go deeper and use your crystals in meditation and use them to find answers. Since crystals are connected with the entire universe, if you have questions you don’t know the answers to, you can ask your crystal and it can retrive the information for you. The trick here is to learn how to ‘listen’. As humans, we like when things are direct and straight forward. Wouldn’t it be great if your crystal could send you an email? Or speak to you and tell you the answers? Maybe send an occasional text?
Since it doesn’t work like that, the more time you spend with your crystal and the more you learn to trust your intuition and the signs around you, the easier it will be to understand how your crystals work. They can help draw the right people, answers and situations into your life. Crystals can speak directly to you, if you learn how to hear the answers. It’s natural to want to discredit the ‘answers’ that may pop into your mind as figments of your imagination, but what if it’s not? Learn to listen to these thoughts.
What ways are you using your crystals? Let me know in the comments, or contact Sparkle Shelf. We always love hearing from you!